31 July 2019
Duty Station: Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Type of contract: Service Contract (SC)
Salary: 1,800 USD monthly gross (including 10% for pension and 5% for medical insurance)
Only candidates entitled to work in Kyrgyzstan may apply for this post
Closing Date of Applications (midnight, local time): 14 August 2019
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall supervision and functional authority of the Director of UNESCO Almaty Office, and direct supervision of the Programme Specialist for Education, the incumbent will be responsible for providing professional and technical support, research, knowledge management and partnership building to education activities in Kyrgyzstan, in particular the Project on Developing Online Curriculum to Mainstream Cross-Cutting Competences for Sustainable Development.
The incumbent will perform the following functions in close liaison and coordination with the Almaty Office:
1. Programme and Project Contribution
- Contribute to the project design and development.
- Prepare detailed work plans, task descriptions, budgets and output indicators.
- Review and identify areas for improved programme and project alignment with UNESCO, national, regional and global Education goals (e.g. SDG4 and Education for Sustainable Development).
- Oversee implementation, identify constraints and propose measures to improve operations and delivery of project outputs in Kyrgyzstan.
- Provide substantive logistical and administrative support to project implementation, consultations, meetings, events and missions.
- Facilitate close working relationships and exchanges with UNESCO Headquarters, UNESCO Asia-Pacific Regional Bureau for Education, UNESCO and national Institutes, ministries, National Commission for UNESCO, education stakeholders and networks for project design, development and implementation and reporting.
- May act as lead worker with project consultants and other service providers, and local staff following through on the dissemination of project results.
- Monitor programme implementation and outputs, as assigned, ensuring that UNESCO's work is implemented in a timely, coherent and integrated manner.
- Provide input to the preparation of reports on programme implementation and other briefings.
- Participate in UNDAF and joint UN programming planning and implementation, as well as in other joint collaboration with development partners and stakeholders, through identifying and/ or concretizing joint programming opportunities.
- Develop and maintain thorough knowledge of national policies, strategies and plans of action in Education and maximise use of this knowledge in the design of locally delivered Education-related activities.
- Conduct situational analysis and research, compile data and inputs to concept notes, publications, briefings. Analyze best practices and trends to contribute to knowledge base.
- Contribute to public information and outreach tasks, writing, inputting to social media, hosting information points, facilitating exchanges/ meetings.
- Upload to automated systems (UNESTEAMS) and other platforms the institutional memory.
- Build partnerships with stakeholders, in particular with national authorities, the private sector, civil society, NGOs and multilateral organizations.
- Prepare input to UN development planning processes.
- Analyze and compile data for potential partnership opportunities. Identify opportunities for increased collaboration and propose projects to complement the UNESCO action for consideration.
- Contribute to resource mobilization by contributing to the development of concept notes and project proposals and identifying opportunities for UNESCO’s intervention.
- Liaise with colleagues within the Sector and in other Sectors, in UNESCO Almaty, Headquarters, Category I Institutes in Education and other stakeholders to discuss developments and to archive information on education initiatives, baselines, and impact measurements.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of education, social sciences, socio economic studies or another related field.
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience in coordinating and managing education projects in Kyrgyzstan.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the education system in Kyrgyzstan.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of partners and government officials.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills, including the ability to draft reports and technical memoranda.
- Proven organizational and coordination skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team within a multicultural environment with discretion and tact.
- Ability to take initiative and provide quality and timely support and services.
- Flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities.
- Good IT skills (MS Word, Excel, Data base systems, Outlook, etc.).
Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English and Russian and good knowledge of Kyrgyz.
Experience in the UN System or an intergovernmental organization, preferably in the field of education.
Experience using IT knowledge management and reporting tools.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
- UNESCO's salaries are paid in local currency (Kyrgyz som).
- Other benefits include: 2.5 days annual leave for each completed month of service, 5% for medical insurance and 10% for pension plan are included into the monthly salary.
- Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are requested to send their application, including a motivation letter in English and the completed OFFICIAL UNESCO CV FORM, indicating the "National Education Officer for Kyrgyzstan" to UNESCO Representative to Cluster Office for Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, 303 Baizakov street, 5th floor, 050040 Almaty, Kazakhstan or via e-mail: (almaty(at)unesco(dot)org) NOT LATER THAN 14 August 2019.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY PRE-SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
A WRITTEN EXAMINATION MAY BE USED IN THE EVALUATION OF CANDIDATES.
UNESCO DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS.